Sunday, October 27, 2019

Some Other Light


I almost get the picture but my brain and thumb
Are out of synch, one dreaming, the other balancing stuff.
It's an old dream in a new-ish city, oil leaking skylights
Across the entire dome of tomorrow until we see
The universe and the blue sky in the same puddle;
Until the flight that carries and the flight that punctures
Are the same thing, explosions and ribbons
Ripping and lacing the sky open and whole simultaneously.
We are dreaming in gloves and calipers, only a little
Star stuff and gunpowder before the colors rend
Our sight from darkness and give us light.
Daydreaming in the city already smothered
By creeks and bayous and rivers dreaming of salt depths,
Of the deep darkness where islands are born,
Some other current, some other light
One facing the heart, one facing the heights.

Sharing today with Poets United for Poetry Pantry #498 (sorry it's not a Halloween poem!) and with The Sunday Muse for Sunday Muse #79

NaNoWriMo is coming up and I'm going to be going for the 50K (words, that is) this November, so I might be erratic in my poetry. While November looms before me, I'm thinking of a writing class I recently attended and how I want to approach the project this time. There is a piece that's gnawing at me, asking me whether the other pieces are dodges for the things I could say but don't. Someone claimed today that responsibility was restricted to what you do...you can't be responsible for something global (like pop culture) or for sins committed in the past...but I'm feeling like writing has become...something that shows more blindness than insight for me. And so, perhaps, this November, I'm going to pick a project I don't like and remember what it means to write about the things that bite. Or...maybe not. See you on the other side of November, when I know what I've written. 

-- Chrissa

23 comments:

  1. Good luck with November, Chrissa. You are brave! Sometimes, when I have done NaNoWriMo, I have sat down at the keyboard and it was like taking dictation. It sounds like your inner muse is wishing to speak. Maybe she will make herself known through November. It is always a wonder when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the comparisons and amazing imagery in this Chrissa! I love the line "the universe and the blue sky in the same puddle"! I know you will do great with NaNo! Your talent always amazes me and I hope one day you will see it too. 🤩

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good, I love your closing two lines. Oh yes and good luck for November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pulled back into some the books about space travels I have read, where the journey is just as much (or more) an inner journey as the skyward pilgrimage

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely balance in the contrasts. Finely tuned. All the best in November and may you have enough light to complete the project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quest to find a place of existence, I love the last two lines.

    Some other current, some other light
    One facing the heart, one facing the heights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, Chrissa. This goes into my list of all time favourites. Wow! Your word choices, concepts, images and metaphors are dreamy. Seeps right into my soul. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great poem … wonderful imagery and a compelling close. I always enjoy your notes, as well, Chrissa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful poem.

    All the best with NaNo. I did it once, just for the experience, but I am not a novelist. Once was fun, but never again! However, it sounds like you have real things to accomplish with it, and if anyone can I'm sure you can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh! this is sci-fi and dystopia and last man standing. This type of poetry gets my imagination running wild. i am the last survivor down to my last round of ammo... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great landscape and a real flow to this poem

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed your imagery here. Good luck in November. That is quite a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pulled by both heart and heights. What a glorious step to take. Onward and upward.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an evocative poem! I loved those last two lines.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely stunning, Chrissa ❤️ All the best for your endeavors in November!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, love the comparisons. Butterflies show up a lot in my writing. Good luck with your November challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fine piece of writing Chrissa, and the closing couplet is super!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like how there's a balance of daring with a smidge of caution in this piece. So many new things to explore, but it's best to make sure we have the math right and protection ready.

    Good luck on NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete