Sunday, September 15, 2019

Unawake

Courtesy of The Sunday Muse prompt

The best parts are the dark, gentle rewrites
Faces spun up to reassure you that old friends remember,
& old lovers are just a summer's coursework away...
Too obvious a mix of living and studying, but messier
Your brother's old carpet and legion of toys
Cityscaping a dim-lit dorm room beneath
Cerenkov string lights, blue underlid fluorescents
Setting your books among them, in the darkness, unread
Before you head back to the unlit auditorium
To be told by shadows the lecture was bad
But this row of unexpected friends will keep you
And your old boss apologizes in the form of a TA
Forgiving you for not doing the reading
Promise seeps back, like water in dry grass
Rising dark, cool on your toes and unreflecting

Sharing today with The Sunday Muse and Poets United for the Sunday verse round--poetry is an excellent way to start the week. I started this week with a round of writing in the arboretum, as the mornings are cooling nicely and I'm not crisping around the edges by 9 am. There were deer this morning on the drive in but none, thankfully, near the benches. Deer are the spirit animals of anxiety & I tend to imagine them creeping through the underbrush (because squirrels and birds sound fifty times their size when you can't see them). And because maybe I've watched too many bad 70's movies in which nature is definitely out to get you. And because of that one time I didn't see a tiny herd before it ran in front of me on the opposite side of the park. Anyway. Totes not obsessed with both seeing and avoiding deer. That would just be weird. :) 

Hope you have a good week!
-- Chrissa

14 comments:

  1. To walk around barefoot in the darkest of nights filled with the unsettling thought of what you did wrong... I feel that this much more than the lecturer and the brother...

    I think I might write to this picture if I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'm crazy but this makes me think of dreams I've had, where a final exam is happening immediately in some class I have forgotten to attend all semester. Somehow, here, all past sins are forgiven, and I love the comparison to water seeping onto the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I am smiling at your "totes not obsessed - that would just be weird" comment. There are deer everywhere on the Island......my only worry on seeing them is their safety alongside the roads, with all the zooming cars going too fast to stop in time. Loved the poem, too, and the boss being kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this...the language, the flow, the images. Perfect beginning and perfect end. A truly beautiful write, Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed the stream of consciousness in this poem, Chrissa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the close on this contemplative ponder it just seems to anchor the piece … and does so with deft insight and authenticity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does feel like a dream, wandering in parts of the mind. I do like deer I feel they represent spiritual healing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely poem - you really captured something special

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome writing!
    there is a dream-like feel to the poem, not a nightmare but close, and the narrator is about to be jolted back to awareness, just before dawn.
    Thank you, i have to look up 'Cerenkov'. Cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This line stands out for me: Before you head back to the unlit auditorium
    To be told by shadows the lecture was bad

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the journey of images this takes me on. From beginning to end it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely get the dream vibe others have mentioned here. Our dreams often remind us of things we already know or have forgotten. To me, it feels like a dream that acknowledges discomfort and anxiety, but finds solace in souls that understand what we're going through and make us feel less alone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too, have had this happen in similar form in dreams. Well written, Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete