Sunday, May 19, 2019

Only You Could Know

When I pull up to the coffee queue, tugging off the jacket
From the interview, the line's all the way around the store.
I watch it go by in stops--window open,
One arm and shoulder in the heat shallows of the drive-through,
Dragging my fingers through car wakes.

Brake lights. Slide forward. Brake lights.
Heat settles like a second passenger beside me.
Light lurks in the waning storefront museum
Across the flat Texas road. Brake lights.
Slide forward. I used to love these highways
With a heat shimmer pilot light that flicked on
As soon as the tires pulled out of the apartment driveway.
Brake lights.

Empty afternoon, where the questions should have been.
That one internship summer
In an edge zone office beside that body shop
Where you worked. We met when I was walking, restless,
To some fast food lunch. You swore that plastic toys and
Plastic booths meant plastic people. You wanted to know
If my arms bent properly, and my fingers.

So we ate lunches in the gas station between office and shop,
Laughing about the girls who came to meet your boss,
Saying they'd studied his book in class and wanting his secrets.
Wanting him to be one of theirs.

And I was just as plastic as you said. Just as plastic
As the frazzled cover of this used book, only you can still see
A black and white photo of a woman and motorcycle
Some summer before I was born, your boss's name
Printed same as on that body shop.
Where I'd seen the original photo, but never believed in the book.
And whatever I'm looking for is never going to interview me
Because the road doesn't ask those questions.
I'm still in a skirt and hose and office shoes,
Even without an office. And the coffee line
Moves like an amusement park river
And I drop my hand into the tepid, oily breeze
And wonder what the secret is.

Sharing with The Sunday Muse and Poets United Poetry Pantry # 480.

-- Chrissa

18 comments:

  1. Wow! I love this poem, Chrissa! I want to know what the secret is, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the wonderful things about good writing is that it puts us in someone else's life for a while, and when we come back to ourselves we often find that we've learned something about our own, too. Turn right? Turn left? Go straight? And how do you figure out how to find your way and not just follow the most worn track? Marvelously done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Empty afternoon, where the questions should have been."

    Interestingly sometimes the questions outweight answers in importance so to search for the questions is indeed wherein lies the mystery

    Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday today

    Much🌻love

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a wonderful read....I was right there in the car and the heat as your thoughts went to and fro, as thoughts do, during drive-throughs..........this was really good. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "the road doesn't ask questions". How I love that. And how true it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to know the secret too . .
    But the road doesn't ask questions, or give answers I suspect . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the coffee line like an amusement park ride. Plenty of stopping to remember the past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great poem, great flow. No, the road doesn't give answers, just keeps on moving

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still looking for the secrets...enjoyed taking this trip with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyable read and I wonder about the journey, turning in so many directions. I wonder if a map or GPS would help find the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. just loved this poem so rich in imagery. liked the repeated use of brake lights/slide forward, a metaphor for what life sometimes is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really pulled me into this poem, Chrissa, starting with the direct address of the title – it could be anyone, it could be me, and I want to know what the secret is. I love the description of the coffee queue, ‘One arm and shoulder in the heat shallows of the drive-through, / Dragging my fingers through car wakes’ – it’s palpable – and the image of the car lights is powerful. The story of the relationship builds up beautifully, with the hints of characterisation telling me just enough and holding back so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "the road doesn't ask questions". I love that! Gorgeously rendered!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really felt this as the sometimes meaningless journey... back and forth and waiting... the lacking purpose and the somethings we have lost. Great poem

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Empty afternoons, where the questions should have been." Wow this is an amazing line Chrissa! I love this and the last line is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You brought us right into that line of cars and the repeated use of "brake lights" was very effective. I enjoyed where your musings took us as you waited...the imagery strong...really grabbed my attention. The ending left me wondering...
    Gayle ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Empty afternoon, where the questions should have been. That one internship summer... Oh, I love that! Life has us using our brakes a lot. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete