Sunday, January 13, 2019

Who is Winter Fooling?

Who got up at six and why did they get up at six
When winter was slumbering and sleeting?
Who is winter covering on the waking side of dawning?

I never owned an instrument; this house was silent
When I fell asleep last summer--last evening, rather,
Far beyond this slushy keening.
Who is winter fooling, this side of the seasons?

Who came to the house last night to open just one window,
Who left a cold like silver notes up and down the foyer?
Who sang the starlight ashes into this tray of morning?

Why has my voice, gone yesterday, returned
Along an old coil of phone line,
Still calling me to warn me?
Who is winter fooling this side of the seasons?

Sharing this morning with Poets United and, possibly, with The Sunday Muse. The photo inspiration is definitely from The Muse; however, there is, may be, could possibly lead to a short story rather than a poem...there's usually a winter's ghost story hovering around my head and this warm, too-warm season has produced a lack of lurking weather, ergo, not yet a good story. But this fits in so well with an idea that occurred to me yesterday...so...so may I should cut back on the coffee before l start drafting and just get it done. :) Have a lovely week! 

-- Chrissa



17 comments:

  1. Some gorgeous images here. Specially love winter "slumbering and sleeting".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the questions - very imaginative piece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or you could sip and type at the same time, surreptitious slurps. Smiles. I loved this poem with all the ponderings. I especially love "who sang the starlight ashes into this tray of morning." Rather brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful write, Chrissa. I can't wait to read the short story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this especially; "Who sang the starlight ashes into this tray of morning?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your poem, covered in deep snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never give in to those terrible voices that chant of giving up on coffee. They've no idea what they speak of. Winter, and her motives, need storytelling (especially of the ghostly kind).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, those are indeed questions that could lead to a very interesting short story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luv the question posed about winter.
    Lovely imaging. Happy you dropped by my sumie Sunday today

    Much☺love

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love what you have done here, with your lines of questioning, that take this piece in an unique and intriguing direction. Awesome writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great read this is Chrissa, meanwhile in Australia we are sweltering in summer heat of 40 degrees C (about 104 F)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love how this sounds to read it aloud. And I like poems that pose questions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the image in the last stanza - the idea of a voice coiling on a line - to warn - is just fantastic - and perfectly creative. And this poem asks and answers but asks more than it answers - as if shaking the narrative voice ... and we can't help but be drawn into it - to dance to the mad swirl of energy, light - flakes, notes - this is life, the seasons -
    this poem wraps itself up and unwinds in a fascinating tempo -
    superb writing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the questions in this Chrissa. I look forward to the story that may develop. Wonderful writing as always!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who left a cold like silver notes up and down the foyer?
    Who sang the starlight ashes into this tray of morning?

    Gorgeous imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great questions posed . . . and nicely handled throughout

    ReplyDelete